Saturday, September 20, 2008

New Moon

New Moon
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Little, Brown and Company, 2006
563 pages

So my niece got me hooked on the Twilight series, and I wrote a review about the first book back in July. I could hardly wait to get back to the USA so I could read the other books in the series, which I ordered on Amazon.com from Vienna but had sent to my address in the States (because I was having trouble with my mail delivery in Austria).

I just want to say that people in at least four states and three countries - from the ages of 11 to 53 - are reading this series because of me. And they are all loving it. So Stephenie, please send the royalty check soon. :-)

OK. This is Book #2. Sometimes, the second book in a series is not as good as the first. Sort of like a movie sequel is not usually as good as the original movie.  I don't think this is the case with New Moon. I actually liked it a little bit more than Twilight.

My niece (age 12) and one of my friends (age 24) disagree with me on the grounds that their favorite character is not featured as prominently in New Moon as in other books. But it's really a matter of personal preference. You see, the plot thickens in New Moon. The vampire gets a rival.

New Moon draws a line in the forest, and you're going to have to figure out whose side you're on. This is where I have to stop because of spoilers. 

Just read it. And don't feel guilty about it.

Rating: 4.5 stars.

P.S. I immediately started reading Book #3 - Eclipse - after finishing New Moon. Consider yourself warned. :-)

A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home Author: Wiley Cash P.S., 2012 306 pages While browsing in a local independent bookstore recently, I came a...