Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Practical Paleo

Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole Foods Lifestyle
Author: Diane Sanfillipo
Victory Belt, 2012
432 pages

I've been a bit slow to embrace the Paleo lifestyle, but about a month ago, I decided to go for it. My first "Paleo purchase" was this book, which I chose based on the 1000+ five-star reviews on Amazon.com. But when the book finally landed in my hands, I was impressed with its sheer beauty as much as the wonderful content within.

This could be my favorite cookbook ever. Only it's not just a cookbook. It's a mission statement and a manifesto. A call to action!

Practical Paleo is full of useful and interesting information. Sure, there's the explanation of what Paleo dieting is all about (and why you should try it) but there's plenty more: how to shop for groceries, regulating blood sugar, 30 day meal plans for various health conditions such as fibromyalgia, kitchen basics (how to chop an onion), and tons of delicious recipes. My favorite so far? That would be a tie between the pumpkin pancakes, the bacon-wrapped smoky chicken thighs, and the vanilla bean tahini truffles.

Those 1000+ five-star reviews don't lie. If you're into Paleo -- or interested in it -- this is the book to get.

A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home Author: Wiley Cash P.S., 2012 306 pages While browsing in a local independent bookstore recently, I came a...