Sunday, March 17, 2013

Safe House

Safe House
Author: Chris Ewan
Minotaur Books, 2012
448 pages

Safe House has been #1 in the Crime, Thrillers & Mystery category at Amazon UK for quite some time now. It takes place on the Isle of Man. For my geography-challenged friends, that's an island in the Irish sea between Ireland and Great Britain. It was one of the six Celtic nations. It's where Manx cats come from. And it has a very interesting-looking flag. :)

It became very clear to me within just a few pages as to why this book has been at the top of the UK charts: IT'S REALLY GOOD. I was hooked from the get-go when main character Rob wakes up in the hospital after a motorcycle accident. When he asks about the condition of his companion rider, no one seems to know who or what he's talking about. They blame it on his head injury.

But Rob knows he was with someone. Her name was Lena. They hadn't known each other long. In fact, they'd only just met as a result of Rob's work. Now there's no proof that Lena exists, except in Rob's mind.

I don't want to say more, because the plot quickly adds another mystery and more intriguing layers and characters. To say more about it would give too much away. Let's just say this book is quite the ride. Sure, it's over 400 pages long, but those pages fly by quickly.

I'm not sure if this is going to be the first in a series, or if it's a standalone. If it is to be a series, then I can't wait to read the others. Bottom line: If you're a fan of the crime thriller genre, I'm pretty sure you'll love Safe House as much as I did.

A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home Author: Wiley Cash P.S., 2012 306 pages While browsing in a local independent bookstore recently, I came a...