Monday, May 24, 2010

Farm Fresh Murder

Farm Fresh Murder
Author: Paige Shelton
Berkley, 2010
304 pages

I needed something to read while I was visiting the farm recently, so I picked up this new, first-in-a-series paperback. To my delight, it was set in South Carolina, in a fictional town that (at least in my mind) seemed a lot like Anderson, where my family lived for several years.

Becca Robins is a thirty-something farmer and jam/preserves maker who sells her products at the local farmers' market. When one of the peach vendors is murdered one morning before the market opens,  all clues point to crusty old Abner -- the fresh flower vendor who happens to be a good friend of Becca's. But Becca knows Abner could never do such a thing, and with the help of her sister (Allison, the manager of the farmers' market) and some friends (including hunky young artist Ian and the increasingly attractive Officer Sam Brion), Becca sets out to find the real killer. In the process, she evolves into quite the amateur sleuth.

Farm Fresh Murder was a fun way to spend a few hours. I liked Becca and most of the other characters, and look forward to reading future books in this series. By the way, I thought I'd guessed the murderer early on, but I was wrong. (You won't see me write that often!)

A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home Author: Wiley Cash P.S., 2012 306 pages While browsing in a local independent bookstore recently, I came a...