Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Snowbound

Snowbound (Kindle Edition)
Author: Janice Kay Johnson
Amazon Digital Services, 2009
288 pages

As promised, a review of a really bad book that was a free Kindle download. It didn't take me long to realize that quantity does not equal quality. Snowbound froze me over so badly, I haven't been able to read for over a week now.

Lots of people would disagree with my opinion that this is a really bad book. In fact, it has 4.5 stars on Amazon.com. I'm not sure if these are real people or friends of the author, but it doesn't matter. I think the real problem is that Romance is not my genre.

Fiona is a secondary prep school teacher who takes a wrong turn in the mountains while driving a group of students home from an academic competition. A snowstorm blows in and they become stranded at an inn up on a mountain. Guess what? A sort of hunky veteran of the war in Iraq is the reclusive innkeeper who takes them in for several days. Sparks begin to fly between the innkeeper and the teacher. It is SO predictable and boring. I don't know why I kept reading as long as I did, but I eventually quit at 68% complete because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Next time I'll just PAY for what I really want. (By the way, I've deleted all of the "free" books from my Kindle because I can't take another experience like this one!)

Rating: 1.5 stars (just for keeping me interested that long).

A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home Author: Wiley Cash P.S., 2012 306 pages While browsing in a local independent bookstore recently, I came a...