Friday, August 22, 2008

The Elephant and the Dragon

The Elephant and the Dragon
Author: Robyn Meredith
W.W. Norton & Company, 2007
252 pages

I started reading this book in June before my trip to China and India. The first two chapters went quickly, but then I switched my attention to fiction, and my interest in this book waned. I finally finished it last night after skimming through several pages in the middle section.

The official title of this book is The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What It Means for All of Us. There are a *lot* of books out now about India and/or China and their emergence as global economic powers. This one is somewhat unique in that: 1) it provides significant historical perspective on both countries, including some stuff you might wish it didn't; and 2) it lays out several suggestions for how other countries (especially USA) can remain competitive. 

As to the second point, education is the key, and if the USA doesn't get its act together with regards to K-12 education, we're doomed.

The writing is excellent, and you'll certainly learn something from reading this.  You might feel a little depressed, though. I certainly did. 

Rating: 4 stars.


A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home Author: Wiley Cash P.S., 2012 306 pages While browsing in a local independent bookstore recently, I came a...